Need a ride to your health care visits?
You may be able to get a ride from TennCare. You can get help with a ride only for your TennCare services, and only if you don't have any other way to get there.
Southeastrans* provides services for non-emergency transportation to BlueCare and TennCareSelect members. If you need help with a ride to your health care visit less than 90 miles away, you can call one of the phone numbers listed below.
BlueCare East members call Southeastrans toll-free at 1-866-473-7563 if you live in one of these counties:
Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Franklin, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Polk, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union or Washington.
BlueCare West members call Southeastrans toll-free at 1-866-473-7564 if you live in one of these counties:
Benton, Carroll, Chester, Crockett, Decatur, Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Hardin, Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, McNairy, Obion, Shelby, Tipton or Weakly.
TennCareSelect members living anywhere in the state call Southeastrans toll-free at 1-866-473-7565.
Need help with a ride to your health care visit more than 90 miles away?
Call Customer Service. BlueCare members call 1-800-468-9698. TennCareSelect members call 1-800-263-5479. Please call at least 72 hours before your health care visit to guarantee your ride. If you cannot give at least a 72 hour notice, we cannot guarantee you a ride.
Need to change times or cancel your health care visit?
You must change or cancel your ride too. If needed, one person may ride with you to your appointment. These arrangements must be made when the trip is scheduled. This is a shared-ride service. More than one person going to an appointment may ride together in the same vehicle.
Transportation Helpful Tips
- Schedule your Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) at least one week in advance. This helps make sure you can get a ride. The week's notice does not include holidays or weekends.
- Know all the details about your appointment before you call to schedule transportation. Give this information to Southeastrans (SET)* when you call to set up transportation:
- Your provider's-
- Full Address
- Phone Number
- The name and address of any drugstores where you need to stop.
- When you call to be picked up from your appointment, SET has an hour to pick you up. Sometimes you are able to tell SET an exact time when they can pick you up at the provider. But often, you will need to call SET to come and get you when your appointment is over. SET has up to one (1) hour to pick you up after your call.
- Urgent Trips are allowed, but with limits:
- An Urgent Trip is a covered NEMT service that must happen on the day of the request. For example, a hospital discharge is allowed as an Urgent Trip. A scheduled checkup with your Primary Care Provider (PCP) is not allowed as an Urgent Trip.
- An Urgent Trip is not for medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency, you should call 911.
- An Urgent Trip can include as many pick-ups and drop-offs as needed to get you to the provider and home.
- There are two kinds of Urgent Trips:
- An Urban Urgent Trip is a covered NEMT service within a city or an area where more people live. SET has up to three (3) hours to pick you up from an Urban Trip.
- A Non-Urban Urgent Trip is a covered NEMT service in a rural area where fewer people live. SET has up to four (4) hours to pick you up from a Non-Urban Trip.
- The Bureau of TennCare provides bus passes for:
- Members who are medically able to ride public transportation.
- Members whose trips meet the guidelines for a covered NEMT.
- Provided as 24-hour bus passes for single trips.
- Provided as monthly passes if you have three (3) or more appointments scheduled in a 30-day period.
- Sent to the member's home address.
- All trips over 90 miles, one way, must be approved by BlueCare Tennessee before you set up transportation with SET.
- Write down your Trip ID number when you set up your transportation. If you have to cancel, SET will ask you for the Trip ID number.
*Southeastrans provides transportation services for BlueCare and TennCareSelect members. Southeastrans is an independent company that does not provide BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee branded products and services.